1. “Kris made a list of all the children and the toys they wanted. He checked it over once, then checked it over twice.” –TV Movie Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Re-check your schedule. Classes may have moved. My freshman year, I walked out of my first class and double checked to see where my next class was at. It had moved to a building I had never even heard of. I was that freshman standing in the middle of the path with a planner map in my hands and a frantic look on my face. There might have been a lanyard involved.
2. “Lol lanyard, freshman.” —Every Drake Upperclassman
Don’t buy a lanyard. You look like a freshman.
3. “If you don’t take risks, you’ll have a wasted soul.” –Drew Barrymore (Very Wise Actress)
Try new things. You’re not going to like your meal plan if you don’t pop out of your bubble. You’re not going to make any friends if you don’t talk to new people. You’re not going to learn if you don’t challenge yourself in your classes. College is your time to expand your horizons and grow as a person, and stepping out of your comfort zone is the first step.
4. “I get a thrill meeting kids who are into alternative music.” –Kurt Cobain (Musician)
Introduce yourself to your professors. They’re on your side.
5. “Forgetfulness is a form of freedom.” –Khalil Gibran (???)
But don’t forget the first day essentials. Your laptop. Your writing utensils. Paper. Your ID. Thirst for knowledge. Just come prepared.
6. “Time is not measured by the passing of years but by what one does, what one feels, and what one achieves.” —Jawaharlal Nehru (again no clue)
The year goes fast. So all those things on your freshman year bucket list that you think you have months to check off? You don’t. Do them now.